Medal of the Maple for Distinguished Youth Service
The Medal of the Maple is an award for Distinguished Youth Service created by the members of the National Youth Network. It honours those youth who have significantly contributed to the Movement and the spirit of Scouting through community service, extraordinary Scouting participation and a solid system of personal values.
The Medal of the Maple Award was launched in our Centennial year (Fall 2007), to symbolize the importance of youth involvement in our Movement’s success. It remains one of the national awards.
Click Here for more information on the Medal of Maple for Distinguished Youth Service.
All youth that display outstanding service and commitment to the Scouting Movement are eligible for the Medal of the Maple. In terms of the award criteria, “outstanding” is defined as service and commitment that excels and exceeds the performance of the ordinary duties and expectations of a youth within their sections, groups, local councils or other pertinent Scouting associations and bodies. Aside from this broad definition, youth must meet the specified criteria below:
- Be a member of Scouting for no less than three years, be currently registered and participating as a youth in the following defined youth programs. It is anticipated that most recipients will be registered as a Scout, Venturer Scout or Rover Scout however Beaver Scouts and Cub Scouts that display exceptional skills and thoroughly reflect the Scouting spirit will also be eligible. This will be based on their participation, community involvement and dedication. The awarding of Beaver Scouts and Cub Scouts will be decided by the council commissioner and the council youth commissioner, who may consult with the National Youth Commissioner for input if desired. Please note that awards to Beaver Scouts and Cub Scouts are only to be done in exceptional circumstances.
- Show outstanding leadership and teamwork capabilities in their area, group, council or national Scouting body.
- Help organize, run or coordinate events that better their community, other Scouts and/or the Scouting Community at large.
- Positively benefit other youth members as a direct result of their work, dedication and/or personal values.
- Provide service and display a commitment that exceeds the faithful performance of the ordinary duties and expectations of a youth within their sections, groups, local councils or other pertinent Scouting associations and bodies.
Steps for Nomination:
Please complete the nomination form and return it to email@example.com. If preferred a hard copy submission of the nomination form will also be accepted at the Council Office, made out to the attention of the DCYC Recognition.
Medal of the Maple Nomination Form