Scouts Canada, the country’s leading youth organization, offers challenging programs for boys, girls and youth age 5-26 in thousands of individual groups in most cities and towns across Canada.
Winter’s only started, but it’s not too soon to think ahead to spring and Scouts Canada’s 2017 Scoutrees campaign!
See below or at Scouts.ca/scoutrees to download the 2017 Scoutrees crest order form, Scoutrees pledge form and Scoutrees poster.
Please submit your Group’s crest order to the Central Ontario Service Centre by Friday, February 24, 2017. Quantities are limited, so don’t delay.
Each spring since 1972, thousands of Beaver Scouts, Cub Scouts, Scouts, Venturer Scouts and Rover Scouts have planted trees through the Scoutrees Program. Scoutrees gives all members the opportunity to demonstrate, through action, their concern for the environment. By planting trees, youth learn about the important role trees have in our lives, the critical need for conservation, the huge impact of climate change and how we can do our part to create a better world.
Scoutrees is also a fundraising project.
Through sponsors and donors, 85% of money raised through Scoutrees goes to local Scout Groups to help fund activities and programs. The remaining 15% goes toward the Canadian Brotherhood Fund to assist Scouting members in developing countries.
The Brotherhood Fund is a Scouts Canada initiative that support projects that are part of the World Scouting Organization's Community Development Program. Find out more about how Scouts Canada's youth are getting involved.
For more information about the Scoutrees program, go to www.scouts.ca/scoutrees
GET INVOLVED IN A TREE PLANTING EVENT - 2017
You can participate as a section or as a whole group. Everyone is welcome. Simply choose a location and register with the planting host as requested.
Organization - 10,000 Trees for the Rouge
The annual 10,000 Trees for the Rouge tree planting will take place on Sunday April 23, 2017.
Volunteers will be transported by free shuttle buses to and from the Unionville GO Station parking lot throughout the day.
Access to the site for those with BUS Transport ONLY, is through the Markham Works Yard on Princess Street, Markham - west off Markham Road (Hwy 48), north of Hwy 407.
Groups arriving with their own buses are welcome to drop off passengers at this Princess Street location however, to avoid congestion, there will be an enforced "no parking/no standing" policy within the drop-off area. There will be space for private buses to park at the Unionville GO Station on the day of the planting.
JUST PLANTING TREES?
Groups who are conducting Scoutrees programs as a community service, can request Scoutrees crests. Request for Crests are due by February 24, 2017. Crests will be available in late April.
Please contact Jen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-490-6364 ext. 246 for more information.
PLANNING YOUR SCOUTREES EVENT
To ensure you have a successful Scoutrees fundraiser and tree planting event, it’s important to plan ahead of time. We have provided you with some helpful Step-by-Step suggestions.
- STEP 1 – Register for Scoutrees
Once you’ve decided that your Scout group is going to participate, please contact the council office to register in the Scoutrees fundraiser and submit your form requesting crests by February 24, 2017.
This can only be done by contacting Jen at email@example.com or call 416-490-6364 ext. 246.
STEP 2 - Decide where you are going to plant trees
Choose the planting location of your choice and register with the organization as described.
STEP 3 - Plan your fundraising efforts
- In the fundraising kit, each participant will have a pledge form to collect pledges from family, friends or co-workers.
- Canvass your local community by going door-to-door or run a community booth.
- Donations of $20.00 or more can receive a charitable tax receipt.
- If you are interested in doing a booth or setting up a table at a local event or store, you can book Scouts Canada banners, tents, popcorn machines and marketing material from the local Scout office. See here for booking info.
- Choose the planting location of your choice and register with the organization as described.
- STEP 4 – Completing the Scoutrees Fundraising Report
- Once you are done all your fundraising, Scout Groups are asked to send in a report along with a cheque for the 15% to go to the Canadian Scouting Brotherhood Fund. This report should also contain details for any requests for tax receipts.
- STEP 5 - Share Stories, Pictures Etc.
- Please be sure to send us your stories or pictures from your fundraising events and tree planting event. Please forward to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Download the 2017 Scoutrees Poster (PDF)|
|Download the Scoutrees 2017 Crest Order Form (PDF)|